Company: The Southern Company Inc
Location: Virginia Beach
Posted on: March 16, 2023
The purpose of this position is to prepare and analyze transactions to support financial processes for Southern Company Gas and its subsidiaries. The successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring, reviewing and completing back-office credit and accounting processes and collecting money due to Virginia Natural Gas and Chattanooga Gas on delinquent customer accounts and making sure that adequate security is maintained on each account to secure the company against loss.
* Must be proficient in data entry, generating statements and reports
* Strong verbal and written communications skills
* Strong analytical skills
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Strong critical thinking and process management skills
* Strong researching and record-keeping skills
* Must demonstrate compassion, accountability, respect and empowerment behaviors
Major Job Responsibilities:
* Investigates and provides solutions for customer account issues.
* Performs general ledger account reconciliations to resolve outstanding items/issues.
* Calculates, reviews and reports to management financial information for specialty areas (e.g., billing/customer accounting, vendor accounting, general ledger, cash accounting).
* Monitors reports, accounts and expenses and processes adjustments as necessary.
* Reviews, analyzes and processes bankruptcies.
* Assists Contact Center agents with customer inquiries and resolutions.
* Protects the brand reputation of the company by helping to resolve customer complaints.
* Locates delinquent customer accounts by skip tracing, phone contact, written correspondence to help secure payments or payment arrangements.
* Makes outbound calls to customers to collect money to prevent service disconnections for nonpay.
* Collaborates with collection agencies and DebtNext to monitor gas accounts, as well as verify credit disputes and status changes that affect credit ratings.
* Reviews Social Security violation monthly reports and take corrective action in compliance with Red Flag rules.
* Processes, handles and collects Surety Bonds, Irrevocable Letters of Credit and Credit Union Guarantees.
* Investigates and acts in response to daily self-restore report, including billing appropriate charges and initiating field activity.
* Maintains relationships with the state agencies that assist our income-eligible customers with paying their bills.
* Responds to customer requests made through the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act to be notified about personal data within our system.
* Incorporates customer perspective into solving business issues
* Knows how to leverage internal and external resources to assist with completing job responsibilities
* Effectively plans and prioritizes work
* Consistently drives and delivers quality results
* Protects the security of customer while performing work
* Makes sound decisions based on available information
* Listens to understand by showing empathy when communicating with others, including customers
* Generates reports that provide insights to management about transactional or other customer account activities
* Establishes good working relationship with others to achieve business results
* Actively fosters collaboration and teamwork
* Follows organizational policies and procedures set by the company
* Effectively manages assigned workload by setting goals, prioritizing work, evaluating results and taking corrective action as needed.
* High School Diploma or GED
* BA/BS degree in Accounting or Business
Related Work Experience:
* 1-3 years of experience performing accounting, banking or similar business activities
* 1-2 years utility experience
* Or Equivalent academic education and work experience
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft applications
* Analytical skills
* Time management and planning
* MS Word - intermediate proficiency
* MS Excel - intermediate proficiency
* Knowledge of customer billing/accounting system (CC&B)
* Knowledge of Collection and Bankruptcies policies and procedures
* Organizational and communication skills
* PeopleSoft Financials - basic proficiency
* Knowledge of customer billing/accounting system (CC&B)
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
* Location is open to reporting to Virginia Beach or Atlanta office
* Hybrid Work Schedule
* Infrequent Travel (0 to 5%) Incumbent may be required to travel on a very limited basis. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Virginia-Coastal Virginia-Virginia Beach
Operating Company: Virginia Natural Gas
Other Locations: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
Union Covered: No
VNG Virginia Beach - 544 S. Independence Blvd (544VirginiaBeachCODE)
544 S. Independence Blvd
Virginia Beach, 23452
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: 6042000002
Keywords: The Southern Company Inc, Virginia Beach , Credit Specialist, Other , Virginia Beach, Virginia
here to apply!