Company: Edgar Cayce A.R.E
Location: Virginia Beach
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Position is responsible for carrying out and supervising daily
operations portion of current Prison Services Program.
Responsibilities include continued monitoring of program to stay
within budgeted expenses, proactively contacting and/or responding
to wardens and chaplains, managing inmate correspondence and/or
calls, mailing books/materials to correctional facility libraries
and inmates, updating/maintaining Prison Services database,
matching inmates with A.R.E. mentor correspondents, and
coordinating and training program volunteers. Job contingent upon
satisfactory passing of standard background security check.
Special Note: Requires ability to comply with COVID-19 policy
requirements, including ability to wear face mask and maintain
Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Respond to correctional facility and inmate correspondence and
inquiries; input information into Prison Program database;
- Receive Prison Services Program contributions; follow up with
appropriate acknowledgment and response each month;
- Update and maintain Prison Services database with accuracy;
generate reports, and recommend changes in database design, as
- Select and pack books and materials for shipment to
correctional facility and/or inmates;
- Maintain organized inventory of books to be donated through
Prison Services Program; notify Director of Support Services &
Outreach to needs and/or for change;
- Initiate contact with prison and jail librarians, respond to,
and comply with special projects for correctional facility
- When appropriate, train and supervise volunteers, matching
skills with program needs and objectives;
- Collaborate with Director of Support Services & Outreach to
prioritize/set Prison Services objectives in order to achieve
organizational, budgetary and departmental goals;
- Collaborate with Director of Support Services & Outreach on
recommended improvements in Prison Services Program and database;
follow through in timely manner;
- Provide regular updates to Director of Support Services &
Outreach on operations, contributions, donor/inmate/correctional
facility requests, other items of interest;
- Prepare monthly report and letters for donors as needed;
- Keep current map of prisons and jails in the program;
- Coordinate and oversee the inmate correspondence/mentorship
- Encourage formation of inmate-led "A Search for God" and/or
"Your Life" study groups;
- Other relevant duties as required
Required Education and Experience:
- High School education or equivalent with business training or
equivalent required; and
- Minimum two years' customer service and data entry experience
- Minimum two years' experience working with membership
management software (Aptify) preferred, but not required; and
personal computer systems (Windows XP, Firefox Mozilla & Microsoft
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of philosophy and acceptance of the key principles in
the Edgar Cayce readings, particularly kindness, active patience
and a service orientation is required.
- Good working knowledge of A.R.E. resources and available
- Proficient skills required in Microsoft Office including Word,
Outlook, Excel, Internet Explorer web-based applications.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with A.R.E. Press books is
- Working knowledge of membership management software programs
- Strong interpersonal/customer service skills required,
including continuous demonstration of courtesy, friendliness,
patience, kindness, cooperation with a service orientation.
- Excellent communication skills required -- oral, written,
listening--to exchange information with variety of
- Requires strong skills in data entry, accuracy, proofreading
and data analysis.
- Strong time-management and multi-tasking skills with ability to
manage competing deadlines required.
- Strong interpersonal skills intact, diplomacy, problem solving,
and objectivity required.
- Requires excellent organization skills, detail orientation,
ability to keep eye on bigger picture.
- Demonstrated ability to keep confidential all Prison Program
and A.R.E. related information, including donor, member, customer
and staff information, is required.
- Ability to effectively supervise volunteers' work, with average
level of independent judgment, permitting latitude for independent
decision-making with changing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, with the
general public and co-workers - demonstrating patience, diplomacy,
persistence, kindness, and clarity is required.
- Ability to motivate and provide a high level of service and
display positive attitude toward helping others is required.
- Ability to prioritize and set objectives to achieve
organizational, budgetary and departmental goals required.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through with and/or recommend
improvements in the Prison Program and database.
- Ability to maintain a strong customer focus with demonstrated
enthusiasm/respect in working with people from diverse backgrounds
- High degree of emotional intelligence and maturity -
demonstrating adaptability, engagement, and enthusiasm.
- A good sense of humor.
Special Job or Training Demands:
--- Job Contingent upon satisfactory passing of standard background
Scope and Impact of the position:
- Position directly impacts the effectiveness of the prison
outreach program and A.R.E.'s relationship and image with prison
personnel, inmates, and participating volunteers.
- Position has potential to enrich and enhance the lives of
countless inmates and educate prison personnel positively.
- Required ability to sit for lengthy periods of time, using a
computer keyboard, looking at a computer screen, requiring focus on
prolonged visual and mental attention.
- Required ability to frequently carry out physical activities of
picking, packing, lifting, carrying up to 15 lbs. on a daily
- The ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to
use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is
Equal employment opportunity for all is an essential philosophy at
the A.R.E. and throughout the organization, including Atlantic
University, Edgar Cayce Foundation,
Cayce/Reilly School of Massage, and the A.R.E. Health Center and
Spa. We will evaluate all applicants for employment without regard
to sex, race, religion, marital status,
sexual orientation, age, national origin, color, veteran status,
non-disqualifying disability, genetic information, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Edgar Cayce A.R.E, Virginia Beach , Service Coordinator, Other , Virginia Beach, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!