Company: Bayview Physicians Group
Location: Virginia Beach
Posted on: May 4, 2021
Bayview Physicians Group is a rapidly growing outpatient
multi-specialty medical group, that strongly believes the
doctor-patient relationship is the cornerstone of quality
healthcare. We staff more than 600 positions in the Hampton Roads
area. Individuals who possess excellent customer service skills,
strong collegial relationships, and the desire to promote a
positive work environment are encouraged to apply. We offer a
competitive benefits package to our full time employees.
A sleep technologist works under the general supervision of the
medical director ordesignee to provide comprehensive evaluation and
treatment of sleep disorders including in center and out of center
sleep testing, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions,
comprehensive patient care and direct patient education. A sleep
technologist is able to perform the duties defined for a sleep
technician and is able to provide oversight of other sleep center
staff. The sleep technologist is credentialed in sleep
Domains of Practice
Sleep Study Preparation and Set-up
- Collect, analyze and integrate patient information in order to
identify and meet the patient-specific needs (physical/mental
limitations, current emotional/physiological status regarding the
testing procedure, pertinent medical/social history).
- Determine final testing parameters/procedures in conjunction
with the ordering physician or clinical director and laboratory
- Review the patient's history and verify the medical order.
- Follow sleep center protocols related to the sleep study.
- When patient arrives, verify identification, collect documents
and obtain consent for the study.
- Explain the procedure and orient the patient for either in
center or out of center sleep testing.
- Select appropriate equipment and calibrate for testing to
determine proper functioning and make adjustments, if
- Apply electrodes and sensors according to accepted published
- Perform routine positive airway pressure (PAP) interface
fitting and desentization.
Sleep Study Procedures
- Follow procedural protocols [such as Multiple Sleep Latency
Test (MSLT), Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT), parasomnia
studies, PAP, oxygen titration etc.] to ensure collection of
- Perform appropriate physiological calibrations to ensure proper
signals and make required adjustments.
- Follow "lights out" procedures to establish and document
baseline values (such as body position, oxyhemoglobin saturation,
respiratory and heart rates, etc.)
- Perform data acquisition while monitoring study-tracing quality
to ensure signals are artifact-free. Identify, correct and document
- Document routine observations, including sleep stages and
clinical events, changes in procedure, and other significant events
in order to facilitate scoring and interpretation of
- Implement appropriate interventions (including actions
necessary for patient safety and therapeutic intervention such as
positive airway pressure, oxygen administration, etc).
- Follow "lights on" procedures to verify integrity of collected
data and complete the data collection process (e.g. repeat the
physiological and instrument calibrations and instructs the patient
on completing questionnaires, checking for completeness, etc.)
- Score sleep/wake stages by applying professionally accepted
- Score clinical events (such as respiratory events, cardiac
events, limb movements, arousals, etc.) utilizing AASM
- Generate accurate reports by tabulating sleep/wake and clinical
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to recognize and
provide age specific care in the treatment, assessment, and
education of neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to perform
portable monitoring equipment preparation and data download.
- Perform patient education and instruction appropriate for out
of center sleep testing.
- Demonstrate adherence to cleaning and disinfection procedures
for portable monitoring devices.
- Demonstrate adherence to AASM scoring parameters for OCST;
identify artifact, inadequate signals and study failures and
generate an accurate report.
Service Management And Essential Skills
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and
standards regarding safety and infection control issues.
- Perform routine equipment care and maintenance and inventory
- Maintain current CPR or BCLS certification.
- Demonstrate computer skills appropriate for the position.
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication
- Demonstrate appropriate social skills.
- Demonstrate customer service skills.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and ability to work with minimal
- Demonstrate teamwork skills. Follow HIPAA policies to maintain
the privacy and security of patient information.
- Demonstrate ability to follow direction.
- Respond to sleep patient's procedural-related inquiries by
providing appropriate information.
- Provide patient education utilizing sleep center specific
- Adhere to sleep center policies related to quality
- Evaluate sleep study related equipment and inventory.
- Review and evaluate sleep studies and provide feedback to
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze complex situations and apply
- Comply with professional standards of conduct.
- Assist the medical director and/or manager in all aspects of
sleep center operations.
Education And/or Experience
Successful completion of an accredited educational program leading
to a certificate or associate degree with an emphasis in sleep
Successful completion of a sleep technology program associated with
a state licensed and/or a nationally accredited educational
facility or equivalent experience and documented proficiency for
all competencies required of a sleep technician.
Certification by a nationally recognized certification board and
holds either the Registered Sleep Technologist (RST), Registered
Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT), or Sleep Disorders
Specialist (SDS) credential.
This job description is intended to provide only basis guidelines
for meeting the minimum job requirements. The responsibilities,
knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as
organization needs evolve.
Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: Bayview Physicians Group, Virginia Beach , Sleep Technologist, Other , Virginia Beach, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!