Cognos Architect (Job #6208)
Location: Virginia Beach
Posted on: March 18, 2019
SLAIT Consulting is currently seeking a Cognos Architect for our client in the Newport News/Virginia Beach, VA area.
The Cognos Application Architect will be responsible for the analysis, solution architecture, programming, testing, documentation, and support of Cognos. The Architect will provide expertise, mentorship, and solution reviews to multiple groups of developers and will provide standards, procedures, and best practices for the application while staying abreast of new Cognos offerings. This position will architect and implement Business Intelligence solutions, delivering business analytics and reporting applications that provide tangible business benefits.
* Responsible for architecting performant Cognos solutions using various Cognos components.
* Works with business analysts to analyze business requirements.
* Plans, prepares, and implements development tasks, delivering solutions to production.
* Reviews and approves proposed Cognos solutions using current development practices during design phase.
* Acts as BI Change Control Board approver for changes to be moved to production.
* Confers with business partners and internal IT departments to clarify desired functionality and propose modifications or other externally available solutions.
* Performs unit testing of all code generated by self.
* Assists in quality assurance, user, and system load testing.
* Implements security plans and processes.
* Participates in departmental reviews of system design.
* Assists in trouble-shooting, debugging, and inquiries related to system functionality and performance; this may include 3rd tier production support.
* May participate in installation and configuration of Cognos application.
* Responsible for overall technical guidance for the usage of Cognos tools and related software products.
* Possesses an understanding of the Cognos configuration options and implications as it relates to current projects assigned.
* Provides usage dashboards and reports to management to track adoption and assist with capacity planning.
* Produces suitable technical specifications that provide a blueprint for developers to follow in order to develop a software solution that is efficient and appropriate for the task at hand.
* Evaluates external software products for suitability and efficacy and makes recommendations regarding their acquisition.
* Develops standards, procedures, and best practices for Cognos.
* Stays abreast of Business Intelligence trends and new vendor offerings.
* Represents the company in a professional manner at all times, ensuring quality customer service.
* Abides by all policies, rules, and regulations of the company, including all safety rules, regulations, and procedures.
* Supports corporate programs, goals, and initiatives of the company.
* In addition, associates will perform duties as requested by the management team.
* May be involved in system demonstrations.
* Assists in resolving operational issues and may perform other assignments as needed.
* Seeks educational opportunities to become "expert" in application development.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
* Previous experience performing Application Architect functions.
* Possesses effective written and oral communication skills, close attention to detail, and reasons clearly and logically.
* Displays the ability to assume responsibility for increasingly complex assignments.
* Fundamental understanding of relational database design.
* Ability to analyze the projected size and growth for hardware requirements.
* Proven problem solving and analytical skills.
* Receptive to some travel (education, project pilot, training, site visits, etc.).
* Ability to work within groups, sometimes as facilitator.
* Ability to complete work independently.
* Ability to work to a deadline.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Strong work ethic.
* Positive attitude.
* Participate in "on-call" situations as it applies.
* Receptive to work some non-standard business hours as it applies.
* Ability to learn and understand WOS business practices.
* Good verbal and written communication skills.
* Willing to learn new skills/technologies.
A minimum of 2 years? experience in a relevant Cognos Architecture role.
A minimum of 8 years of end-to-end DWBI project, hands-on experience.
At least 5 years? experience in Cognos BI solution design, development, and implementation.
Applies broad knowledge of own job area or IT knowledge across multiple job areas within the team.
Demonstrated and proven leadership / mentorship within a team environment.
Demonstrated experience leading and mentoring remote development teams.
* Experience with IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio, Framework Manager, and OLAP cube design.
* Cognos administration skills.
* Experience with Neteeza and/or Oracle databases.
* ETL experience preferred, but not required, in IBM Infosphere .
* Expert knowledge of SQL and database concepts in a dimensional large data warehouse environment.
* Demonstrated experience and ability to work with business users to gather requirements and manage scope.
* Demonstrated experience and ability to work in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects.
* Proven ability to effectively manage their time and a desire to deliver results quickly and correctly.
* Ability to promote growth and mentor of other team members.
* Strong problem-solving skills and trouble-shooting skills.
* Team player with strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
LEADERSHIP AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
* Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with diverse personality types.
* Must be self-motivated, proactive, creative, and efficient in identifying issues and understanding and proposing solutions.
* May be required to develop and maintain relationships with external customers, third party vendors, associations, and user groups.
* Regularly required to conduct business with individuals from outside of the organization.
* Relates to own department, interdepartmental, and management.
* Relates to inter-company employees, management, and executives.
* Must be collaborative in decisions making and facilitate working to consensus to gain agreement.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a high attention to detail and ownership.
* Must possess a servant leadership motivation and desire to work for others.
* Must have the ability to balance the tactical needs of the team with the strategic business perspective.
* Must have a good understanding of the customer relationship, the Client?s business, and the various markets it serves.
We have been growing since 1990 with offices in Virginia, Gaithersburg, MD., New York, Raleigh, NC, and Austin TX. For over twenty three years, we have delivered customized, creative IT solutions for customers in the commercial, and state and local government sectors.
*Staff Augmentation *Managed Services *IT Outsourcing *IT Consulting
Thank you for your consideration, please submit your resume today! Visit us at www.slaitconsulting.com
**Must be able to work for any employer in the United States. No Visa sponsorship.**
SLAIT Consulting is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: , Virginia Beach , Cognos Architect (Job #6208), IT / Software / Systems , Virginia Beach, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!