SLAIT Consulting is currently seeking a Cognos Architect for our
client in the Newport News/Virginia Beach, VA area.
The Cognos Application Architect will be responsible for the
analysis, solution architecture, programming, testing,
documentation, and support of Cognos. The Architect will provide
expertise, mentorship, and solution reviews to multiple groups of
developers and will provide standards, procedures, and best
practices for the application while staying abreast of new Cognos
offerings. This position will architect and implement Business
Intelligence solutions, delivering business analytics and reporting
applications that provide tangible business benefits.
* Responsible for architecting performant Cognos solutions using
various Cognos components.
* Works with business analysts to analyze business
* Plans, prepares, and implements development tasks, delivering
solutions to production.
* Reviews and approves proposed Cognos solutions using current
development practices during design phase.
* Acts as BI Change Control Board approver for changes to be moved
* Confers with business partners and internal IT departments to
clarify desired functionality and propose modifications or other
externally available solutions.
* Performs unit testing of all code generated by self.
* Assists in quality assurance, user, and system load testing.
* Implements security plans and processes.
* Participates in departmental reviews of system design.
* Assists in trouble-shooting, debugging, and inquiries related to
system functionality and performance; this may include 3rd tier
* May participate in installation and configuration of Cognos
* Responsible for overall technical guidance for the usage of
Cognos tools and related software products.
* Possesses an understanding of the Cognos configuration options
and implications as it relates to current projects assigned.
* Provides usage dashboards and reports to management to track
adoption and assist with capacity planning.
* Produces suitable technical specifications that provide a
blueprint for developers to follow in order to develop a software
solution that is efficient and appropriate for the task at
* Evaluates external software products for suitability and efficacy
and makes recommendations regarding their acquisition.
* Develops standards, procedures, and best practices for
* Stays abreast of Business Intelligence trends and new vendor
* Represents the company in a professional manner at all times,
ensuring quality customer service.
* Abides by all policies, rules, and regulations of the company,
including all safety rules, regulations, and procedures.
* Supports corporate programs, goals, and initiatives of the
* In addition, associates will perform duties as requested by the
* May be involved in system demonstrations.
* Assists in resolving operational issues and may perform other
assignments as needed.
* Seeks educational opportunities to become "expert" in application
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
* Previous experience performing Application Architect
* Possesses effective written and oral communication skills, close
attention to detail, and reasons clearly and logically.
* Displays the ability to assume responsibility for increasingly
* Fundamental understanding of relational database design.
* Ability to analyze the projected size and growth for hardware
* Proven problem solving and analytical skills.
* Receptive to some travel (education, project pilot, training,
site visits, etc.).
* Ability to work within groups, sometimes as facilitator.
* Ability to complete work independently.
* Ability to work to a deadline.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Strong work ethic.
* Positive attitude.
* Participate in "on-call" situations as it applies.
* Receptive to work some non-standard business hours as it
* Ability to learn and understand WOS business practices.
* Good verbal and written communication skills.
* Willing to learn new skills/technologies.
A minimum of 2 years? experience in a relevant Cognos Architecture
A minimum of 8 years of end-to-end DWBI project, hands-on
At least 5 years? experience in Cognos BI solution design,
development, and implementation.
Applies broad knowledge of own job area or IT knowledge across
multiple job areas within the team.
Demonstrated and proven leadership / mentorship within a team
Demonstrated experience leading and mentoring remote development
* Experience with IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio, Framework Manager,
and OLAP cube design.
* Cognos administration skills.
* Experience with Neteeza and/or Oracle databases.
* ETL experience preferred, but not required, in IBM Infosphere
* Expert knowledge of SQL and database concepts in a dimensional
large data warehouse environment.
* Demonstrated experience and ability to work with business users
to gather requirements and manage scope.
* Demonstrated experience and ability to work in a fast-paced
environment on multiple projects.
* Proven ability to effectively manage their time and a desire to
deliver results quickly and correctly.
* Ability to promote growth and mentor of other team members.
* Strong problem-solving skills and trouble-shooting skills.
* Team player with strong written, oral, and interpersonal
LEADERSHIP AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
* Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with diverse
* Must be self-motivated, proactive, creative, and efficient in
identifying issues and understanding and proposing solutions.
* May be required to develop and maintain relationships with
external customers, third party vendors, associations, and user
* Regularly required to conduct business with individuals from
outside of the organization.
* Relates to own department, interdepartmental, and management.
* Relates to inter-company employees, management, and
* Must be collaborative in decisions making and facilitate working
to consensus to gain agreement.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a high
attention to detail and ownership.
* Must possess a servant leadership motivation and desire to work
* Must have the ability to balance the tactical needs of the team
with the strategic business perspective.
* Must have a good understanding of the customer relationship, the
Client?s business, and the various markets it serves.
We have been growing since 1990 with offices in Virginia,
Gaithersburg, MD., New York, Raleigh, NC, and Austin TX. For over
twenty three years, we have delivered customized, creative IT
solutions for customers in the commercial, and state and local
*Staff Augmentation *Managed Services *IT Outsourcing *IT
Thank you for your consideration, please submit your resume today!
Visit us at www.slaitconsulting.com
**Must be able to work for any employer in the United States. No
SLAIT Consulting is an Equal Opportunity Employer