SLAIT Consulting is currently seeking a Cognos Developer for our
client in the Newport News, VA area.
The Cognos Developer is a mid-level position whose function is to
create and update system software to allow and improve productivity
of the organization.
Areas of responsibility include: analysis of functional
requirements, development of technical designs, development of
applications, and coordinating software implementation.
Critical activities include: ensuring development coincides with
identified requirements, collaborating with developers to address
any coding conflicts or concerns, and coordinating and working with
Quality Assurance and Business Analyst groups to ensure proper
function of development.
* Design and develop applications and software tools to automate,
improve, or change business processes and procedures.
* Serve as lead developer on medium and large-sized projects.
* Involved in project from startup through implementation to ensure
all aspects of the technology plan are accounted for, understood,
defined, and executed successfully.
* Build technical designs that properly leverage Client?s
architecture, using industry standard notation.
* Learn requirements to interact with applications in the Client?s
North American environment.
* Utilize the software development life cycle methodologies,
processes, and procedures.
* Attain an advanced understanding of the Client?s Application
* Learn the infrastructure of the Client?s On-Line system.
* Become proficient in design and coding.
* Complete peer Code-reviews.
* Complete peer Design reviews.
* Perform unit testing procedures.
* Continue to expand development skill sets.
* Provide estimates and meet deadlines.
* Provide technical leadership.
* Work with Business Analysts and Solution Managers to address
* Work closely with Business Analysts to design scalable solutions
* Work with Administration Team to design scalable application
* Work with other team members on medium and large-sized
* Work with peers, team leads, and supervisors in a collaborative
and shared-learning environment.
* Work with third party software providers to ensure solutions meet
the needs of the Client.
* Use Enterprise application integration (EAI) methodologies,
products, standards, and best practices.
* Perform as point of contact for their projects from analysis to
* Provide mentorship to other developers.
* Stay up to date with current technology enhancements.
* In addition to the essential job duties identified, all
associates will perform duties as requested by management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
4 or more years of relevant experience is typically required to
perform at expectation.
Applies broad job knowledge of own job area or basic job knowledge
across multiple job areas.
* 4+ years related work experience developing in a 3GL or higher
* Basic understanding of UNIX.
* Experience working with relational databases, Oracle, SQL
* Experience developing n-tier applications.
* Aptitude for analyzing data and business processes.
* Strong working knowledge of enterprise application integration
(EAI) methodologies, products, standards, and best-practices.
* Understanding of web-based technologies, including browsers,
HTML, XML, and CSS.
* Understanding of how configuration controls affect
* Ability to build technical designs from functional designs using
* Ability to communicate effectively to both technical and
non-technical audiences in written and non-written formats.
?MUST HAVE? SKILLS:
Experience with the following tools/programs:
* Data Manager.
* Framework Manager.
* Report Studio.
OTHER ?MUST HAVE? SKILLS:
* SQL Experience.
* Database experience.
* Experience in performance tuning in Cognos.
?DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED? SKILLS:
* Active Reporting.
* Dynamic Cubes.
* Metric Studio.
* Communicate with managers, associates and other stakeholders
verbally and through writing.
* Input of data and other information into computer programs using
a keyboard and other devices.
* Draft, review, and analyze written and electronic correspondence,
presentations, and spreadsheets.
* Move throughout an office environment to utilize equipment,
collect information, and attend meetings.
We have been growing since 1990 with offices in Virginia,
Gaithersburg, MD., New York, Raleigh, NC, and Austin TX. For over
twenty three years, we have delivered customized, creative IT
solutions for customers in the commercial, and state and local
*Staff Augmentation *Managed Services *IT Outsourcing *IT
Thank you for your consideration, please submit your resume today!
Visit us at www.slaitconsulting.com
**Must be able to work for any employer in the United States. No
SLAIT Consulting is an Equal Opportunity Employer